Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Work, Son

Have been training hard and working even harder. Some changes at work have left me with literally double the workload, and while I still love my job and consider myself fortunate to work for SHIFT everyday, I can't help but be a little anxious about how the longer hours will affect my training - not even from an hours standpoint so much as the sheer energy it takes to pull a 10-hour day and then go workout at a breakneck pace for 2-4 more.

Maybe I'm getting old...

I'm at about the midway point of training camp, and in a way I feel like things are going so well I need to make up something to worry about. For the first time since high school, my training is unaffected by my cramped schedule. What's more, said training is going phenomenally. I've worked out each of the last 7 days and 12 of the last 14. My regimen has been more disciplined and consistent that it's been in years, and it's paying off. I feel quick and strong and "put-together" - my body's moving and reacting in sync, and my feet and hands are exploding with a smooth power that almost feels foreign. I had been worried about my feet keeping up with my hands, but now I'm worried about my eyes being able to read and react quick enough to use my physical tools to the fullest.

Long week in the office ahead though. Luckily, I was due for a two-day rest/reset, so assuming I still have my limbs and sanity intact come Friday, all will be well.

No comments: