Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Heating up

Earlier this week I went 6 great, aggressive rounds with another experienced boxer from my gym. We absolutely killed each other. It was fantastic.

The lengthy sparring session was the culmination of what has been a phenomenal couple of weeks of training for me. I've trained everyday the past 2 weeks, mixing a heavier load of weights and road work into my usual regimen. In addition to increased reps and miles, I've taken a much more aggressive approach to every workout, finishing strong and truly burning out on every final set, drill or straightaway to the finish line. It's certainly paid off - after 6 rounds I still felt strong and fast, finishing the last round with as much wind in my lungs and snap on my punches as I began it.

Perhaps most noteworthy is the fact that I was outboxed for the first 3 rounds. My opponent moved back and angled away well, baiting me into chasing him a bit too much and picking me apart as a result. Luckily I had the brains and legs to adapt late and turn the session into the proverbial "tale of two fights" by angling better and wearing him down with combinations in close. Compliments and constructive pointers abound afterward. The only thing that made this not the "ideal" sparring session was the huge mouse that flared up above my left eye. It had a bit of blood seeping through, which makes me think it was just a jab/poke/sneeze away from blowing up and needing stitches. Whatever, war wound.

There is no bigger confidence boost than knowing that I have the physical tools and in-ring know-how to not only fight aggressively for 6+ rounds, but successfully adapt and adjust as I go. (Otherwise, this wouldn't have been a productive 6 rounds. And I'd need stitches.)

So while there's no bout on my schedule, I've achieved a victory of sorts by hitting this aggressive, productive, self-motivated stride. Now all I need to do is break a few bad habits - don't get wide with my straight right in the later rounds, be more like Clottey (or an armadillo) and less like Rocky with my guard (makes sense in my head) - and fine-tune my technique.

It's a breath of fresh air to be able to concentrate on repetitions and "nits" rather than my schedule or when the next time I'll be able to move around will be. Similarly, it's nice to have a day of rest because it's scheduled, rather than being forced by my schedule. (That would be today. And I still ran 4 interval miles this a.m. because I felt uppity.)

Is it because of the warmer weather? Naw, I get the whole seasonal blues thing, but it's still pretty grey and dank here in Boston.

Summer love? No, nobody and nothing's coming to mind.

I have no explanation for it. It's just a feeling, no, a focus, an energy that I haven't felt in the ring since college. Now if only I can get my body to keep following suit...

1 comment:

M said...

Great reading and I can feel the motivation rubbing off on me. Cheers!